Thursday, April 23, 2009

Again with the opposite marriage.



There's that video I was talking about the other night. "I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman... no offense to anyone out there."

I can't understand how there are still people out in the world who don't understand that marriage, a legal institution, should not and cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation-- based on the sex of the person you are in love with. It's absurd, ridiculous, and hateful. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian church, and while I don't currently attend, nor do I preach or evangelize, I had never been taught that God hated anyone. I mean, I never heard anything in church growing up about queer people. All I ever heard in church was that God loves everyone, and those who accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior will go to heaven. But nothing about "the gays."

Outside of church, sure. My mom, to this day, calls things "gay," and while I know she doesn't hate or wish harm to anyone in the queer community, things like that indicate a bigger problem. The fact that people actually clapped and cheered when Miss California stated her views... it is entirely unacceptable. Yes, let's cheer and clap for discrimination! Whee!

It's ok. The same people will feel like idiots in a decade or so, when we look back at the rights that the queer community were denied. Not that intolerance or hatred will die out, but that things will change. Like how now it seems so absurd that in the 60's, people had to sit, drink, or eat somewhere else based on the color of their skin. I really hope that I live to see a day where discrimination against queer people is no longer legal or acceptable. Where equal rights actually happen across the country. That'd be great. Plus... what if I fall in love and want to get married? I should be able to do it, regardless of the sex of the person I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment