Tuesday, May 26, 2009

NYC.

I've been quite the slacker for the last few weeks. Whoopsies. I've been busy, you know, finishing my undergraduate career. No biggie.

I'm in NYC with a good friend right now, staying with my aunt and uncle and my little (adorable) cousins. I also went home last weekend for my younger sister's high school graduation. After the last-- somewhat rocky-- few years, it's kind of amazing that she not only graduated but that she graduated with high honors. I'm proud.

I was back at school for one night, between home and NYC, and it was very strange and empty. All the underclass(wo)men have moved out, so there are really only 600 people on a campus made for 2000. I wonder how strange it will be when I get back for senior week events. No classes, no underclass friends, no meetings... very odd. I guess I'll have plenty of time to take pictures, hang out, relax, and reminisce.

My school gives us a really odd week and a half between the end of finals and graduation. It's, I guess, a time for the seniors to really reconnect and fall back in love with the campus and the school. To forget the stress and pressures of the last four years. You know, so when they call us in 3 months asking for money, we'll remember W as it was for the last 2 weeks rather than the last 4 years. Right.

In other ruminations:
California has disappointed me. In upholding Prop 8, the State of California has upheld and supported prejudice and closedmindedness. I was just talking with a friend who made the excellent point that if the courts had overturned a voted decision, it would be pretty upsetting. It would be, I suppose, undemocratic. But. Prejudice, misunderstanding, and hatred (albeit underlying and not necessarily blatant) are unacceptable, and I find it reprehensible that Prop 8 ever even passed. Let alone was upheld as constitutional in California. Come on, CA. Really, now?

I guess I should just graduate now and go out into the world to, you know, change it. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment